Saturday, May 11, 2013

Diamond clinic, day 4

Today has been one of the hardest days. I am almost finished with my DHE treatments, and they told me I can get worse before I get better. My headache level spiked to a 9 out of 10 on the pain scale. When I was admitted I was at an 8. 

They tried a few things-alternating between Norflex and Benadryl given through my IV. It seemed to bring the pain down some. 

Today I had diet class where they go over a low tyramine diet. For those who have never heard of it, tyramine is naturally occurring in foods, so you will not see it in a label. From what I understand, tyramine content increases as foods age, especially those with high protein content. So items like aged cheeses, sausages, pepperoni, lunch meats are all items that increase in tyramine. It is especially important to follow a low tyramine diet if you are on a MAOI inhibitor, as the tyramine can impact the medication. 

I think what I will miss most about implementing a low tyramine diet is beer from the tap. I know that's silly, but my dad is a brewer and I love trying all of his delicious recipes. 

I also had my second biofeedback appointment today, and I felt a little more in control of my body functions this time. 

Today I was also told that I would be discharged on Saturday, which I was not happy about. I still do not feel well enough to return to my normal routine, but the insurance company doesn't want to pay for it any longer. So I get to go home. But it will be wonderful to be with my family and not in the hospital for mothers day.

No comments:

Post a Comment